<$BlogRSDURL$>
 


 >> Captain, Corporal, Ensign >>

3.21.2004
1:36 AM >> Cheap Red Wine

Marked down from $6.99, I found the bottle of wine I was looking for. It would do any how. At $5.99, it would do. I had a taste for port wine (a cheap bottle), but $5.99 was the cheapest alternative in the port-less store. The red would do. Not to mention the label would look nice with the collection of bottles above my cabinets. The label actually read -- Cheap Red Wine. Perfectly tackey. Perfectly out of place with my brother's expensive wines on display.

I haven't developed much of a seasoned taste for wine. A good wine does taste better to me most times, but price is a bigger draw to me than tastes as far as wine goes. This night I just needed something heady. Something cheap and something heady. Being out of anything at home but a couple of shots left of a cheaper than Bailey's Irish cream, the Cheap Red Wine was gold.

As soon as I had touched the bottle and turned to head up front, the cashier nodded my purchase off. "No sales. It's past twelve," he pointed out.

Dammit. The rumors WERE wrong. I had always been told that Buddy's convenience store sold at all hours. Monday through very late into Saturday night. I never believed it. Tonight I needed the buzz, so I took a chance and bought into the myth. And dammit all I was right. Why couldn't he have told me as I browsed the wine section for five minutes, up and down the aisles searching searching searching? Why now with my savior already in my hand? Why? Why now?

Empty handed I went and drove home in the rain. Now I am left staring at the two remaining chilled shots of Cheap Irish Cream in the fridge, which taste like hell alone. Standing, thirsty, contemplating.


 
 
[riddle wrapped in
enigma stuffed inside
burrito swallowed by
whale sprayed to
sea captured by UFO]

Blogs We Read >>
Archie's Blood Car
Captain Scurvy
BABY COURAGEOUS
Corporal's Sister
Clunkyrobot
cruchic
Instrument Brain
Keith Olbermann
Lethal Gene Load
Luggage & Assorted   Carry-On
Me & Throckmorton P.   Binky
Melting Dolls
pease porridge
real buried treasure
self titled
Somewhere in Utah

Collabs >>
Ten-X Films
My Current Favorite
The JaCKPie Theater    Workshop

Go Here >>
The 321
The Onion
McSweeney's Recommends

Reference >>
IMDB
AllMusic
TV Tome
How to Bake a Potato



Powered by Blogger eXTReMe Tracker